Sunday, September 21, 2008

Election erection...

I love elections if only to study the psychology of our country's officials. But beyond that, they're usually exciting and it gives voters the feeling of actively helping to shape our country.

I've always felt that it's important to vote and if you feel strongly about not voting, it's important to state the reason's why. But in either case, it's ultimately important to know a thing or two about what's happening.

The way the party leaders talk and the way they're discussed on the news, it's easy for young or uninformed people to think they get a hand in voting in the big party leaders. When I first voted in an election, I was surprised when I didn't recognize any of the names on the ballot and I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to vote for who I thought was running. So I had to vote by party, not knowing anything about the person I just decided I liked on a whim.

If you're interested in understanding how you can better learn politics, don't look at the leaders. They're just distractions and spokespersons for party policy. Think of big parties like a band. Sure, the frontman is flashy and loud, but without the rest of the band he's just a crooner.

So it's important to know your riding and who you can actually vote for. Luckily, I'm in a fairly important riding which is currently held by CPC member, John Baird. It's important because this man is also the Minster of the Environment and we all know how big the climate change issue is this election.

Honestly, my riding excites me more than the entire federal election.

Nothing much on the Hill is going to change. I'm predicting the same Conservative minority this fall. By far the biggest surprise has been the Green Party. Elizabeth May will finally get a chance to debate and they've seen a (relatively) big jump in popularity.

My riding of Ottawa West/Nepean has a cool voting history for anyone who gives a shit. And I do.

The area has become more right-leaning over the past decade;

Some quick federal election stats for Ottawa West/Nepean:

1997
Liberal - 29,511 (votes)
Reform - 11,601

2000
Liberal - 22,607
Alliance - 14,753

2004
Liberal - 23,971
Conservative - 22,591

2006
Conservative - 25,607
Liberal - 20,244

I find election results over time fascinating. It's like watching the piece of Canada you live in grow and change over time. To me it's a notch on the door frame of your neighbourhood measuring the growth of a community.

1 comment:

Jenny P. said...

I wish I still lived in that riding Mike. You would be able to see my election erection from your window.
North Bay is crummy because the conservative guy used to be a liberal and we didn't have an NDP rep till this week. And it's the North - we always vote liberal.
Still, I'm hot and heavy over it all.