Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Franco-fascism...

Are we in Canada anymore?

Wait... I forgot. Quebec isn't a part of Canada now, it's a nation within a nation. But if Quebec starts a kind of cultural cleansing, would Canada intervene?

Well, if you ask me, we better keep an eye open.

I think Gilles Duceppe is losing it and unless you're a Catholic francophone, your rights in Quebec might be getting trampled.

According to the Montreal Gazette, the Bloc wants to restrict non-Catholic clothing and symbols and is hinting that if you're an immigrant who doesn't speak french, you might not be eligible to vote.

"We shouldn't turn ourselves into the Taliban and demolish all the buddhas of Quebec," said Duceppe. "We're not going to stop listening to Mozart's Requiem because it was written for a mass. All that is part of the heritage of humanity and of Quebec."

I'm not seeing very much humanity here. I might be out of my head, but I'm seeing the beginning of something else;

fas·cism [fash-iz-uhm]:
  • A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
Here's the full article from the Gazette.

No comments: