Friday, October 26, 2007

Who are you...

I had an interview with the Acting Staff Sargent in charge of the Forensic Identification Section of the Ottawa PD this morning. He's like Ottawa's version of Gil Grissom.

I kind of expected what anyone else brought up on TV would expect; dim lighting, fancy technology, glass walls.

Nope. It's an office. With people dressed up like they work in an office. Doing office stuff. Probably killing time on Facebook between case reports.

That was a bit of a downer, but just being in that section talking to the head of the department about crime stuff was pretty neat.

There was even a similarity in attitude. Okay, not really. The guy I talked to didn't strike me as the kind of guy who knows everything about everything. But he was very focused and matter-0f-fact. Not cold, but certainly cool. He chuckled when I mentioned CSI.

What I'm getting at is this. Every time I think about hating "reporting" and all the stupid people I have to talk to, I get an interview that's really cool.

How many people can say they've checked out the secured offices of Ottawa PD without working there? I get to talk to interesting professionals about their work and their lives. Who else gets to do that?

I've hung out in city council chambers and offices, photographed Lex Luthor, hunted ghosts and I'm still just a student. That's a pretty cool start.

Maybe this job isn't so bad after all.

1 comment:

Jenny P. said...

Mike! It is the best job in the world!
What other job will let you travel, ask questions, meet new people every day and take pictures?
I love being a journalist.